Out of the Gutter: Cleaning Your Gutter System to Protect Your Home
Seattle is known for frequent rainfall throughout the year—and this can be an issue when it comes to maintaining your household. Having a gutter system installed in your home protects your roof from damage, preserves the foundation of your house, and prevents unwanted water from seeping into your home.
Since they serve a critical function in your home, gutters need regular cleaning and maintenance to perform their job efficiently. Without proper cleaning, gutters can turn from a necessity into an inconvenience.
The Problems Resulting From Poorly Maintained Gutters
Many homeowners wait to get their gutters cleaned until they notice a problem or when it’s too late. When gutters are poorly maintained, they cause several issues like:
- Roof Damage: When a gutter is clogged with leaves or other forms of debris, rainwater pools inside of it and on the edge of the roof. This causes cracks on the roof and damage on the shingles, leading to leaks in the home interior.
- Gutter Damage: Debris and overflowing rainwater corrode the aluminum of the gutters, and damage the integrity of the system.
- Cracks in Foundation: Overflowing rainwater from the gutter will pool at the base of the home. This erodes the foundation, making the property unsafe.
- Pest Problems: When rainwater remains in the gutter, it can become home to pests like mosquitoes, rats, and termites. Pests might find a way into your home through the gutter system, leading to additional issues with pest control.
- Unpleasant Appearance: Debris that remains in the gutters is often visible from the front of the home. Overflowing water also stains the siding of the property, deteriorating a house’s appearance and making the exterior appear worn and shabby.
Cleaning Your Gutters
Regularly cleaning your gutter system prolongs the lifetime of your roof, windows, and siding. Do a visual check of your gutter at least every four months to see if cleaning is required. Some gutters need cleaning during the spring and fall, while others need more frequent cleaning, depending on the number of trees in the area.
Some homeowners prefer to clean their gutters on their own. This involves using a ladder to reach and clean the gutter system.
But, although gutter cleaning is a task you can do on your own, it can be dangerous. You could slip from the ladder or fall as you try to clean more complex or harder to reach areas of the gutter. Falls from ladders could lead to severe injuries, and a poor cleaning job could cause serious damage to a home.
Professional Gutter Cleaning Services by Renova Exterior Detailing
Protect your home and its value by having Renova Exterior Detailing clean and maintain your gutter system. We take care of an essential but often neglected part of your home so you can focus on other activities.
We provide a full service that begins during the site visit. Our certified crew will examine your gutter system to identify urgent and potential issues. Using powerful tools, they remove loose debris and foliage from the roof to the gutter. If necessary, our team will manually remove large obstructions to guarantee a completely clean system.
Keep your gutter system clog-free and your home safe. To get a free quote, call 206-941-2959.